Sunday, August 8, 2010

TAIKO!!!

7/31/10

Taiko.

Bon Odori at the San Diego Buddhist Temple.

It has been many years since I was at at the Buddhist Temple.  A student at USD required 3 classes in relegion.  I met the requirement and then transfer to USC which was a private university with no religious requirements.  Oh well the knowledge I learned and then forget.  I have always been interested in Buddhism and have several books, but I enjoy the Taiko more.

 I don’t want to work
I want to bang on the drum all day
I don’t want to play
I just want to bang on the drum all day
                            Todd Rundgred
 

Obon or just Bon  is a Japanese Buddhist custom to honor the departed (deceased) spirits of one's ancestors. This Buddhist custom has evolved into a family reunion holiday during which people return to ancestral family places and visit and clean their ancestors' graves, and when the spirits of ancestors are supposed to revisit the household altars. It has been celebrated in Japan for more than 500 years and traditionally includes a dance, known as Bon-Odori.

Most everyone who are closest to me knows I lived in Okinawa and had a Japanese Nanny.  I have Japanese items throught my house honoring my time there.  I like Japanese culture and food.  When I found out this was happening I just had to go.  Plus I really miss my mom and dad.

I have a cd of Kodo that I play often, just found it again.  I love the sound of the drums.  I want one!









No comments: