Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Vive La France

July 14, 2010

Relatives on my mom's side were English, but they were Norman not Anglo Saxon.  Sheriff John not Robin Hood.  I enjoyed my visits to France and I'm totally a francophile. Even though a frenchman did not win the stage at Le Tour de France we celebrated.

Bernardo's restaurant in our local hometown serves great French cusine from a real Frenchman.  He is a runner & a triathelethe and I have passed him on the trails.  They had a special menu - 3 course dinner.  B & I started with the French Onion Soup Gratinee.  It was excellent.  The bread was a bagette that was crunchy on the outside & soft on the inside. 

For the entree B went with the Beef Bourguignon with fettucine, aged parmesan cheese.  I opted for the New Zealand rack of lamb, potato-fennel gratin, ratatouille, oven crust, demi Glaze.  I also had the wine pairing.  French Chardonnay with soup, Bourdeaux with entree, & Sauternes with dessert.  For dessert we both chose the fresh vanilla bean creme brulee, fresh peach coulis, fresh berries. 

I would have taken a picture, but was too busy eating.  It was a great evening.  Happy Bastille Day.  Vive la France.

No comments: